Please check these frequently-asked questions before sending any enquiries.
1. When is the entrance examination?
The exams for students aiming to enroll in April of the following year are held twice per year.
Summer (application deadline July, carried out in August): International students (master’s)
Winter (application deadline November, carried out in February): General entrance examination (Master’s and Doctorate)
・The general entrance exam carried out in February can be taken by Japanese students or by international students.
 ・Recruitment seasons and contents will change, to a greater or lesser extent, every year. Please refer to our entrance examination website for the application details.
2. When will the main points of the entrance examination applications be published?
Publication of the Summer entrance examination for international students is planned for May (Japanese and English), and publication of the Winter general entrance examination is planned for July.
3. What proportion of enrollment will be international students?
The Global Art Practice major will accept international students as a proportion of no less than 1/3 of its fixed number of 18 students (i.e. 6 students or more).

Past enrollment proportions were as follows:
 ・2016 enrollment | 6 international students : 12 Japanese students
 ・2017 enrollment | 10 international students : 8 Japanese students
 ・2017 enrollment | 8 international students : 9 Japanese students
4. What countries have students come from?
Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Philippines, USA, Chile, Mexico, Norway, Romania, Congo, Colombia, Hong Kong
5. Are there standards for the English-language test?
Applicants of the Global Art Practice course whose first language is not English are required to submit certified scores from one of the following examinations by external testing organizations.
For details about the English-language test, please refer to the Tokyo University of the Arts entrance examination website (previous year).
No further information about the scores are publicly available.
6. What is the required level of English communication ability?
Every basic lesson will be carried out in English.
Moreover, everyday conversation ability is preferred, so that you will progress through the curriculum while communicating and cooperating with fellow students from a variety of backgrounds.
7. What is the required level of Japanese communication ability?
Every basic lesson will be carried out in English.
However, being able to speak Japanese will make life in Japan and communication with Japanese students and teachers smoother, so we recommend that you study Japanese independently.
8. Will there be instruction or activities outside of the university?
We are planning activities outside of the university that will span multiple weeks, domestically and abroad, such as trips to study antiquities, and a long-term trip abroad in a unit program (collaborative classes with overseas arts universities)
9. Is there time for a part-time job?
There is almost no time for a part-time job alongside the curriculum, because of the variety of courses being held, such as unit program (collaborative programs with overseas arts universities), lectures and workshops by guests invited from overseas, and hands-on skill practice using workshops (woodworking, metalwork, casting, glasswork, etc.). Moreover, there have been cases in the past at Tokyo University of the Arts in which even during days off or holidays, curricula specific to GAP have been carried out.