The Global Art Practice (GAP) MFA program is seeking applicants who are willing to
- formulate ideas, expressions, attitudes and actions toward a new form of art with an understanding of current social conditions and the contemporary cultural landscape.
- initiate diverse changes through art and pursue active inquiry into the global era as participants rather than as bystanders.
- seek their own artistic expression through critical analysis and self-reflection, and break free from restrictive discourses and value systems.
- pursue a globally contextualized art practice that examines and liberates humanity on a horizon of freedom.
- create images (materiality) from the recognition of contemporaneity in encounters with a variety of people and places.
- investigate and thoroughly think how art can be translated and activated for a global audience.
- endeavor to acquire the necessary language, practical skills, and perspective to practice art in a global context.
The Global Art Practice (GAP) doctoral program, which will be newly established in April 2018, is seeking applicants who are able to
- pursue their studies self-directed, with a clear objective and with a view to their future practice; having gained the necessary experience outlined in the admissions policy of the GAP MFA program.
- contextualize their local environment and its conditions (e.g. identity, cultural roots) to arrive at their own opinions concerning global trends; and practice art in the international community with an understanding of their own role and standpoint in the world.
- seek new perspectives and values outside boundaries of nationality, belief, and culture, andーthrough their art practiceーpose questions and new ideas to society.
- carve out their own distinctive art practice and realize their ideas as active members of society.
Entrance Examination Orientation for 2018 Academic Year
We will hold an orientation for applicants who wish to enroll at GAP course in April 2018.
Everyone is welcome to join with no reservation.
GAP Entrance Examination Orientation (MA, DR)
13:00-15:00 Sunday, November 12, 2017
Lecture room 3, Chuo Building, Ueno Campus, Tokyo University of the Arts
Entrance Examination Orientation Video Document
Video record of Entrance Examination Orientation on October 26th 2016 is currently available online.
01: Outline of GAP course, introduction of curriculum (1 hour)
02: Entrance examination, Q & A (1 hour)
We are currently accepting applications to the Global Art Practice course for the fiscal 2018 program. The application deadline is 28th November, 2017.
English version of the 2018 Guidance for Prospective Students is now available. ( 27 October, 2017)
[Master Program] Guidance for Prospective Students (2018 Academic Year) in English
[Master Program] Guidance for Prospective Students (2018 Academic Year) in Japanese
[Doctoral Program] Guidance for Prospective Students (2018 Academic Year) in English
[Doctoral Program] Guidance for Prospective Students (2018 Academic Year) in Japanese